Working on a new apron. It started as a doodle, on the morning of my open studio day when it was a bit quiet.
Since then I’ve drafted a pattern, made a toile (calico mock-up) and made lots of making notes and changes.
I bought some dark navy, crisp cotton twill in Rolls & Rems Lewisham last week, which I need to do a wash test on (to calculate shrinkage and colour loss) before I make a sample apron….
Last week I began the process of taking over the front room as my studio! The room was so underused and my Sparky work stations and ‘stuff’ are at different locations all over the house.
Working in there has improved my productivity already. I’ve decided not to have the computer in there…it’s too much of a distraction, but I do have a radio and my mobile phone. I bought two folding trestle tables, so that I don’t have to cut out fabric and patterns on the floor (which gives me heartburn) and moved my Benina sewing machine into the room to join my Texi industrial machine that has been in there since January… it’s all still a work progress though.
If you’re wondering where we sit these days, we’ve turned my eldest daughter’s bedroom into a ‘snug’ with a .T.V. and big sofa under her high loft bed (she is a 5th year vet student and only comes home for a few days every now and then)….there’s also the advantage of the amazing view across Deptford/Greenwich to Canary Wharf/Docklands.