Tag Archives: Making

….cardboard, paper & glue

Quite regularly I make batches of game pieces/cards to replace lost ones from the Myatt Garden School Storysacks Library – missing pieces stop play! Some years ago I scanned all the Storysack game pieces, so when they are lost I can print them out on paper, glue them to cardboard and seal with more glue – making new pieces so the games and Storysacks can continue to be used!

Occasionally I need to make replacement clothes for character dolls, this week it was a pair of new pj’s for the lazy farmer in the Farmer Duck Storysack – a few weeks ago a tiny shirt for Nelligan from the Pig in the Pond Storysack. Recently all the dinosaurs were ‘lost’ from ‘Harry & the Bucketful of Dinosaurs Storysack, so I did some scanning (from the storybook) and drawing in Photoshop to make ‘lollystick puppets’, then found some great Harry and the Dinosaurs activities online, improving the educational value of the sack too!

New ‘Boro’ style aprons…

I listed a new apron range on Etsy today!

Individual and unusual aprons pieced together from offcuts of denim and other cotton fabrics left from making the aprons in the In The Making range – taking inspiration from Japanese Boro clothing and vintage French and American rustic aprons, which were made from collected fabric scraps and usuable parts of worn out clothing.

I laid bits of fabric out on a big table and pieced each apron together like a jigsaw, balancing the different blue denim tones and complementing with contrasting ticking and red canvas.

New apron No14…

Working on a new apron. It started as a doodle, on the morning of my open studio day when it was a bit quiet.

Since then I’ve drafted a pattern, made a toile (calico mock-up) and made lots of making notes and changes.

I bought some dark navy, crisp cotton twill in Rolls & Rems Lewisham last week, which I need to do a wash test on (to calculate shrinkage and colour loss) before I make a sample apron….

Save

Save

Nighty Nightie make…

A couple of hours, one morning this week, spent making myself a nightie with lovely lightweight paisley fabric from Merchant & Mills. The pattern is Simplicity 1561, but I didn’t elasticate the sleeves….One thing I would say though, is that threading the elastic through the channel was very tricky!

 

Save

Save