Linen/cotton aprons in fabulous colours in production…
Linen/cotton aprons in fabulous colours in production…
Before Christmas, I made a custom woodwork apron for a client – it was a long design process, several months, and required 3 toiles (calico versions) and lots of advice from woodcrafter friends. I’ve tinkered with the pattern some more, and finally have the first finished woodwork apron for the Folksy shop. The cargo style pockets are quite a challenge, and the magnetic pocket tabs are tricky… they want to stick to everything including the sewing machine plate! Hopefully I’ll get James to model for photos tomorrow….
This week I’ve gone back to working on a woodwork apron. I made a custom woodworkers apron for a client before Christmas, the development was a lengthy business. The pattern’s been tweaked a bit and today I cut out the apron pieces…more photos over the next few days…..
December was a bit fast and furious, finishing an order of 20 bespoke aprons for Marine Ices in Chalk Farm (ice-cream parlour), whilst orders for aprons and Christmas decorations were flying out of the Folksy shop.
Discussions with Marine Ices started in August. It took ages to source them the right fabric – it was surprisingly tricky to find a nice blue cotton the right weight, price and with a reliable supply (for replacement aprons in the future).
The apron also needed to feature the Marine Ices logo, screen printing was going to be costly for such a small run and there was the chance that it wouldn’t look great either – after a bit of research I decided to have fabric digitally printed with the logo designs. There are several good companies out there, I used Bags of Love because they had the weight of fabric I needed for this particular job. 30 logos were printed for around £23. The fabric did shrink 4.3% in the wash, I was just about able to cut them out with enough for turnings, phew!
Made myself a skirt using very very nice Merchant & Mills ‘Indigo Spot’ Indian cotton, with cotton tape from myfabrics.com. Particularly fond of the gingham pockets made from vintage bits of Oilily fabric.
I never thought I’d ever get so keen on wearing elasticated waistbands – but it’s great for working, when I have a lot of bending over do, like when Idrafting patterns or cutting fabric/patterns.
I delivered 2 custom aprons to ‘Flavours of Spain’ recently; the ochre coloured denim and red ties are perfect Spanish colours for their deli business. A dog Like Sparky basic No7 design was adapted with changes to the pockets and longer ties, plus a monogram A and T for Ana and Teresa so they could tell them apart.
Flavours of Spain have a spot at The Southbank Centre Food Market (Central London near Festival Hall etc), Brockley Farmers Market (SE London) and throughout August have run a pop-up at Number 57 in Brockley, Lewisham SE London, selling their fantastic cheeses, charcuterie, wines etc and freshly prepared tapas.
I’ve been working on this dress for some time… partly because I was was doing a workshop at Number 57 for this particular pattern, I was making it in stages so they could see the progress – but I didn’t manage to finish it with them because I decided it needed different sleeves. But I finished it today “Hurrah”!
I used the ‘Dress Shirt’ Merchant & Mills pattern, but it needed pockets so I drafted a pocket pattern and added those into the side seams. Once I had the main body of the dress done, I realised it needed cap sleeves (to balance the dark yoke); so spent time drafting those properly and making a calico one to make sure it worked!
I’ve made four of these dresses myself, and helped four people make theirs in workshops at Number 57. One comment I would make about this Merchant & Mills pattern is that it has a lot of ease in the sleeves, which works ok with loose weave fabrics like linen, but with fine or close weave fabrics fabrics I’ve found I have to pull in the extra fabric into a little section of gathers across the sleeve head on the shoulder.
The lovely Indian block printed fabric was bought from The Cloth Shop – Ladbrooke Grove back in February.
I had a good afternoon at Number 57, friends dropped by, artists came to introduce themselves, had some great discussions. I even sold some lavender bags, which were the sum total of things I made this week (half-term never pans out the way you think!). They looked lovely nestling in beautiful Jan Barker bowls (see photo).
… and a picture taken at home this morning before I went to Number 57.
Earlier this year, in collaboration with Nipper Skipper, I designed a set of t-shirts based on their very cute logo-mascot Pip (Penguin) – They went on sale yesterday!
Nipper Skipper sell sailing gear- safety gear and technical clothing for children who sail – age 0-10 years. The t-shirts are their first foray into Nipper Skipper branded products.
Rather than straight copy their Pip logo I went for a simplified, yet still very recognisable, strong line drawing of Pip.
Nipper Skipper felt strongly that their customers would be keen on organic fair trade t-shirts. After some research we settled on Stella and Stanley marl shirts, printed by 3rd Rail in Bermondsey London, using water-based discharge inks – which give a fantastic soft feel (no horrible plastic finish) you can hardly feel any ink on it at all.
Lastly, we thought about packaging. I’d had these gorgeous stripey candy bags on one of my Pinterest boards for ages, they come in a lovely range of colours and sizes. The yellow ones were perfect with the set of Pip stickers Nipper Skipper already send in their parcels.